Labels

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A New Look - Slipcovered Ottoman




The thrift store ottoman with new legs, the fabric and trim for a new look.
I bought an ottoman at a thrift store that was the perfect size for my very comfy reading chair.  Why, you ask, did I not buy the ottoman that went with the chair in the first place?  Good question.  There are two main reasons for this.  The first is that I like to get a good deal.  I shopped quite a bit looking for this chair.  My criteria was comfort, style, and a neutral color.  I wanted something I could live with for a long time, yet I could easily change the look according to the season or my whim.  After searching "everywhere", I stumbled upon this chair that was a floor model at Pottery Barn.  They had it marked to 50% off, and that day an additional 25% off.  I loved it, it fit all my criteria, and I brought it home!

Now, I could have ordered the matching ottoman (still can), but this brings me to the second reason I didn't buy it.  I prefer things not to be too "matched".  I already have a matching sofa and loveseat, and that pushed my boundaries a little bit.  So for the ottoman I wanted something a little different.  A different color.  Something to bring some life into my great room that can lean toward blah if I don't branch out with a little color now and then.  So I began my next hunt - for the perfect ottoman.  I always have a tape measure in my car (usually in my purse - a trick I picked up from my Mom).  I keep the measurements of what I am looking for with me also, because you just never know when you are going to run across the perfect piece.  That is how I knew this ottoman would be perfect when I found it, and so I bought it too, for a mere $20. 
Me, hard at work...
The ottoman was in perfect condition.  It had "fancy" legs, which I switched out.  you can buy these at home improvement stores, upholstery/fabric shops, etc.  At $2.50 each, that adds an additional $10 to my cost.  I also decided to make a slipcover for it.  I like the blue (it goes well with the fabulous painting my sister-in-law painted for me), but I didn't like it with my holiday decorations.  JoAnn's fabrics had their usual 50% off coupons, and I used these to buy my fabric and the trim. 
The finished product!
Now anyone who has sat in this chair with the ottoman can tell you that it is a very comfy, cozy spot.  It really can't be beat, although my husband is pretty sure a recliner would run a close competition. But with a good book or my iPad and a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, I can lose some serious time in my new ultra comfy chair.  Matter of fact, that's where I have been writing this post...the hard part was that I had to get myself up to take the photo! 

Cheers to saving money, tapping into your creativity, and having a really comfy place to curl up and call your own!

4 comments:

  1. I admire people with sewing skills. How fabulous! I love your ottoman makeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla, for all your kind remarks. I used to sew quite a bit, but not so much anymore. I do enjoy it, though!
      Sheila

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I know how to sew but I don't know anything about making slip covers or doing upholstery work. The color looks great and what a bargain you got on it and the chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I haven't done upholstery, but basic slipcovers are very doable if you know how to sew. Glad you like the color. I do too!
      Sheila

      Delete